Nov 1, 2017
Here at BrightFunnel, we like our internal team of Account Development Representatives (ADRs) to “think like a marketer,” which is why they actually report into our marketing team! There’s a lot of reasons why this makes sense, not the least of which is taking sales and marketing alignment to a whole new level. Think about it — the goals of marketing leadership are closely aligned with those of an ADR. Build pipeline, engage prospects, raise brand awareness and generate business through impactful messaging. So naturally, being a multi-touch marketing attribution platform, our ADR team leverages BrightFunnel to measure their efforts in parallel with all of our other marketing activities.
Regardless of the department your organization’s SDR / BDR / ADR function rolls into, measuring the activities of your sales development team can be an impactful way to reliably forecast pipeline and increase efficiencies with their prospecting. Keep reading to see how we recommend tracking sales development attribution to strengthen the partnership and collaboration between marketing and sales.
Establish An Organizational Framework
The following is a framework to consider when setting up ADR Salesforce Campaigns:
Method # 1: Measure Overall ADR Activity
First, create a new Campaign Type in Salesforce: For example: “ADR Activity.”
Then, create two new campaign templates, and assign the campaign type as ADR Activity. Within each template, determine the various Campaign Member responses that should be considered “successful” responses. But remember, just like when tracking marketing activities, we suggest that you only attribute activities that signal engagement such as an email response or meeting set. We also recommend avoiding including emails that were sent but did not receive a response.
For evergreen or ongoing ADR campaigns, we recommend creating new ADR campaigns quarterly, to provide visibility into performance during a specific time frame.
- For example, use ADR Inbound Q1 2017 or ADR Outbound Q1 2017
If your ADRs leverage multiple outbound channels, consider breaking up your Outbound activities even further into separate campaigns.
- ADR Email Outreach Q1 2017
- ADR Social Outreach Q1 2017
- ADR Direct Mail Outreach Q1 2017
- ADR Call Outreach Q1 2017
Pro Tip: Use a naming convention for campaigns that are Inbound, Outbound or specific events to understand how different ADR activities are driving pipeline and revenue.
Method #2: Track Meetings Scheduled Before an Event
In Salesforce, create a parent campaign for an Event overall, like “Dreamforce 2017.” We recommend organizing using a single parent campaign to organize all sales and marketing activity before and during the event.
Create individual child campaigns for all ADR activities related to this event. For Example: meetings scheduled, booth scans etc.
- Categorize the campaigns with the SFDC “ADR Activity” Campaign Type
- All ADR campaigns will roll into the ADR campaign group. You can leverage a parent campaign filter to see all of the integrated event outreach across all campaign groups.
- Pro Tip: Determine the various successful campaign responses and use the same Member Status values consistently across all ADR Outreach Campaigns and ADR Event Outreach Campaigns.
Method #3: Tracking Sourced Opportunities
- Create a Lookup field on the opportunity object in SFDC called “Opp created by” or “ADR Owner” that looks up to the User Object and have your ADR team populate this field when creating opportunities.
- If you’re a BrightFunnel customer, be sure to let your CSM know you’ve created this field. Then you can leverage BrightFunnel “Global Filters” to analyze the opportunities sourced by specific individuals or teams and the marketing campaigns that influence them.
Finally, let’s review the tactical logistics.
Method #4: Identify Campaign Creation Owners
This person should be responsible for creating new ADR Outreach Campaigns every quarter and for each specific outreach event. For consistency, leverage a template campaign for all ADR campaigns for quarter over quarter reporting.
- Pro Tip: Within the template, use the same naming convention and successful campaign responses for each ADR campaign.
Method #5: Train the ADR team
Each ADR should manage adding Campaign Members to the corresponding campaigns in SFDC. They should mark the appropriate Campaign Member responses as their outreach is successful. Coach the ADRs to track this activity within a timely manner so the Campaign Member Response falls within the time frame when the responses occurred.
- Pro Tip: Ensure that each ADR fills in the “ADR Owner” or “Opp Created by” Field as they open new opportunities.
Ready to get started with sales development attribution? Let us show you the BrightFunnel Revenue Intelligence Platform!